Photoshop For Beginners Video Workshop
Turning Photoshop into a tool you use to express your creativity. Take control of this powerful editing program today and see what you can achieve.
50% Off Everything In Store Extended
Saving You and Supporting Us During These Unprecedented Times
You’ll complete the Photoshop for Beginners Video Workshop with the confidence to create your own masterpieces. This workshop is not just an introductory Photoshop workshop. We cover many intermediate and even advanced tools. We’ll strengthen your understanding of these tools throughout the entire workshop and the full image edits.
If you’ve ever wanted to learn Photoshop, it will all come together in a logical and fun way with Photoshop for Beginners and Beyond.
What You Will Learn
Post Processing Workflow
Two of the biggest challenges people face in editing, is their creativity (having a vision for an image) and a workflow. Throughout the full image edits we discuss both of these topics in great detail. We have developed a workflow guide (left), which we follow and discuss with each image we edit. We also talk about vision for our images, how we develop that vision and then turn it into reality.
By the end of the workshop you’ll have much more confidence in your editing. On top of that you’ll be able to express a vision for your imagery, making editing much easier.
Get Your Copy of Photoshop For Beginners Video Workshop
Setting Up For Success
Photoshop can at first be an overwhelming program, but when we break it down it can be much simpler than first appearances. Photoshop is designed for much more than photo editing. Breaking it down, we simplify the interface and ensure our preferences are set to get what we need from it.
58 Minutes (4 Videos)
Photoshop has been designed for video editing, graphic design and photo editing. We break Photoshop down into the tools we need for photo editing. Many of the functions are not relevant to us as photo editors. We’ll cover:
- Setting Camera Raw / Lightroom Preferences.
- Opening images in Photoshop.
- Setting preferences in Photoshop.
- Understanding the Photoshop Window and setting it up for photo editing.
Setting The Foundation in Photoshop
Layers and Layer Masks
Layers and layer masks are where the true power in Photoshop can be found. The concept of layers and masks are where most stumble, but once they’re understood, you’ll wonder why you thought Photoshop was complicated.
We focus on layers and layer masks to ensure you have a strong foundation in both, which will makes editing much easier.
- The types of layers available.
- Navigating the layers window.
- Order of layers.
- Understanding and using layer masks.
- Quick tips.
For every task we undertake in Photoshop we need to have a tool selected. We work through all of the important tools for photo editors.
Photoshop has many ways that we can achieve a desired result. With all of these options comes confusion on what to use or do. We explore all of the important tools and options and understand when they will be useful during your edits.
- Selection Tools (Marquee, Lasso, Quick Selection and Magic Wands)
- Select and Mask to refine selections.
- Cropping and perspective corrections.
- Cloning and Healing.
- Gradients, Dodging and Burning, and Much More…
Adjustments layers is where a great deal of the magic happens. There are thousands of different ways we can use and apply adjustment layers in our images. Combining adjustment layers with layer masks and blending modes opens up a whole new world.
Learning the possibilities with adjustment layers is endless. We’ll cover many of the most popular uses and explain them in great detail
- We cover 13 of the available adjustment layers.
- Using adjustment layers with layer masks.
- Blending modes and how we can use them to our advantage.
- Working with many methods of colour, contrast and luminance adjustments.
When the term filters is used, many people think of special effects in images. The filters available in Photoshop are much more than that. We do have the ability for special effects, but we also have an incredible amount of creative tools available.
There are a few key filters built into Photoshop that can make our lives easier, and give us the ability to express our creativity. We cover:
- Camera Raw Filter (CC2014 – Newer).
- Blurring (Motion, Gaussian and Radial).
- Noise Reduction.
- Sharpening and High Pass.
- Specialty Filters and more….
Full Image Edits
Learning new techniques and tools is interesting and required to build a solid foundation. But, until you put the tools to practice on real images, you’ll never know their full power. We’ll take 5 images from RAW right through to the completed and sharpened images. Covering both landscape and travel / portrait photography. The images below are the full image edits from the Photoshop for Beginners Video Workshop.
In The Markets
In this image we concentrate on the Black and White conversion and painting with light to enhance the scene and separate her from the background. We use tools including:
- Selective black and white conversion to control specific areas.
- Dodging and burning to control strength of light and remove distractions.
- Sharpening and sizing and more…
Duration: 28 minutes (1 video)
We create a mood, through darkening, contrast and colour adjustments to bring this landscape image to life. Some of the steps we use are:
- Selective darkening and colour enhancements
- Selections to control tones in specific areas
- Cloning, healing, masking, sharpening and resizing and more…
Duration: 59 minutes
We enhance this image of the Cascade waterfall, to create a cleaner and more mystical image. One that’s more fitting for the beauty of the falls. Some of the tools we use are:
- Play with colour through temperature for mood.
- Dodging and burning to control light.
- Painting with colour to enhance scene.
- Distraction removal to strengthen main feature.
- Selective Sharpening.
Travel photographs are often taken in harsh lighting conditions with heavy shadows and bright highlights. We focus on directing the light to enhance the story, including:
- Enhancing shadow detail, and darkening bright highlights.
- Perspective correction to straighten everything up.
- Advanced cloning techniques.
- Colour enhancements for richer details.
- Painting with light to draw the viewers eye.
Duration: 44 minutes (2 Videos)
The Temple Sunset
We take three images from a sunset on the West Coast of Bali, and hand blend them to create a balanced exposure. We use many techniques, including:
- Gradient tool and manual blending techniques.
- Selection tools to to work in specific areas.
- Enhance colours throughout the image.
- Add selective contrast for punch in the image.
Duration: 44 minutes (2 Videos)